ABOUT THE FESTIVAL
The Mini Sports Festival held its first and second editions in November 2017 and 2019 in Amuwo Odofin, Lagos, Nigeria. Over 750 athletes and over 10,000 participants took part in each of these editions.
The Lagos State Sports Commission, the Amuwo Odofin Local Government, and the Amuwo Odofin House of Assembly all endorsed the festival. At various times, local celebrities, as well as international athletes, graced the events.
The festival also benefited from partnerships with Nigerian media outlets and major brands.
Mini Sports Festival is aimed at:
- Using sports and games as tools for youth empowerment.
- Discovering young talents through age grade competitions
- Showcasing the unique and huge sporting talents in communities
- Creating an atmosphere of camaraderie amongst the residents of the Lagos communities
- Using competition as a means to curb youth restiveness as well as social vices including gang related activities such as cultism, drug abuse, rape in communities
The Mini Sports Festival typically lasts one month and includes more than ten tournaments, depending on the characteristics of the host community.
Registration and recruitments
- Before the festival, links to registration forms for athletes, coaches, managers, officiating personnel, and other volunteers are made available.
- This festival’s participants are chosen from submissions made through this registration portal.
- Before the festival begins, participants are subjected to a medical fitness screening as well as other technical screenings.